Monday, March 15, 2010

XServer stops working on Ubuntu 9.10 after reboot

Today I rebooted my Ubuntu 9.10 desktop after making a big update. And to my biggest surprise it only booted into the terminal. After googleing the issue I could not find anything related to this. So I took the second best approach and decided to reinstall the nvidia driver.

I wanted to use a tool that would do it for me so if it happens again then I don't have to remember what made it to work. Again back to the good old friend google and it brought up this tool called envyng.
I quick $ sudo apt-get install envyng-core it was installed and ready to run.
I started it with $ sudo envyng -t and just followed the very clean simple instructions. After it installed the recommended version of the driver I just rebooted and everything works just like before.:)

Enjoy...

No comments: